Tuesday, December 18, 2012

NM Josh Sinanan Simul



Last Friday night, December 14, NM Josh Sinanan performed a simul against 19 competitors.  Most were also slated for the Western Idaho Open scheduled for the next day.  I arrived with Desmond, Dylan, and Riley Clark just 5 minutes before the opening words from TD Jeff Roland.  After introductions and an interesting decision by Josh to allow folks to choose either black or white, Josh shook hands with the first competitor and continued to move counter clockwise around the tables.  He even varied his openings depending on the age of his opponents!



For example, against Desmond he played the Queen's Indian Defense (1. d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6) and against Dylan, he played Alekhine's Defence, the Maroczy Variation (1. e4 Nf6 2. d3 d5).  As white he played the Ruy Lopez (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.  Bb5) against Riley Clark and Queen's Gambit declined against me.  Naturally, I played the Marshall Defense out of ignorance of the outcome.  But, now I know.  If he was playing by the book against all 19 of us, then his head must be a file cabinet of information.  Or, maybe he was playing naturally?





Both girls look pretty even (except for pawn structures)
The exhibition was held in the Student Union Building of Boise State University and it was clear that the environment was going to be festive.  A fraternity and sorority was holding a Christmas party and Deck the Halls, Silent Night, Christmas Rock, and other holiday favorites could be faintly heard through the walls.  Occasionally, a lost elf or elfette with pointed hats and plaid vests, would peek in to see if the party was in our room.

I played a very even game up until move 31 where 31 ..Qe7??  Un retrospect, I believe 31. ..Ne8 would have been a much better move and might have salvaged a draw.  Here is a the theoretical position after all the exchanges.  Not so bad!  With more experience, practice and endgame study, I might actually be more than just an amateur.
What could or should  have been?
NM Josh Sinanan is President of the Washington Chess Federation and highly involved with Northwest Chess.  He was a bit busy so I decided not to interview him during the simul and the games began at 5:00 and lasted until 8:30 pm, so I figured he would be a bit too tired to compile information afterward.  But my kids were all able to sneak a board under his pen to add to their collection of Master's signatures after the tournament.
Riley waits for  Ruy Lopez
As the games progressed, the party ended and bongos could be heard from another corner of the Student Union Building as another party began.  Spectators quietly moved in and out of the room, silently pointing at positions and whispering analyses.  One little boy that was playing next to me ate a crunchy and very moist apple.  His cheeks were wet with apple juice and I swear I saw drops on the board in front of him.
Riley gets her board signed by NM Josh Sinanan
I am sure Josh did not even notice all the activity in the room as he concentrated and quietly moved a piece and then himself.  It was hard for me to not notice because it took up to 5 minutes for Josh to make it around the room back to my game, and I found myself looking at my kids games and soaking up the atmosphere.

Josh ended by winning 18 games and drawing against Caleb Kircher.

I love attending and playing in tournaments.  I love what I notice on the board and off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive